Picking the right incontinence product can make all the difference
The right incontinence product makes a big difference
Incontinence. It strikes at the most inconvenient times (which is pretty much any time). And if you have incontinence, it’s hard to take comfort from the fact that more than 3 million Canadians share your situation.
But there is good news. Like so many other things in our lives, technology is racing to catch up. One upside? Lots of headway was been made in creating incontinence products that aren't your grandma's diapers.
Significant improvements in comfort, performance, breathability fit and design are standard fare nowadays. There's no need to settle for cheap markdowns at the drug store. Here are just a few you may not have bumped into before:
In fact, with the right incontinence product - or the right mix of products - you or your loved one have every right to think you can live the same life with incontinence that you would have lived without it.
But, getting it right can be a challenge.
Because there are so many products available (we carry hundred+ o
Why is choosing the right incontinence product important?
When it comes to managing incontinence, choosing the right product is crucial. It not only ensures comfort and dignity but also plays a significant role in maintaining skin health and preventing infections.
With a wide range of options available in the market, finding the perfect fit can be overwhelming. However, taking the time to understand your needs and considering certain factors can make all the difference in finding the right incontinence product.
What factors should you consider?
1. Absorbency: Different individuals have different levels of incontinence. It is important to choose a product with the appropriate absorbency level to prevent leaks and accidents.
2. Size and Fit: Incontinence products come in various sizes. Finding the right fit ensures comfort and prevents discomfort or skin irritation.
3. Type of Incontinence: There are different types of incontinence, such as stress incontinence or urge incontinence. Understanding the type can help in selecting the most suitable product.
4. Lifestyle and Activity Level: Consider your lifestyle and activity level when choosing an incontinence product. Whether you are active or mostly sedentary, there are products designed to meet your specific needs.
What are the available options?
1. Disposable Briefs: These are the most common and convenient option. They offer excellent absorbency and are easy to use and dispose of.
2. Pull-Up Underwear: Similar to regular underwear, these provide a more discreet and comfortable option for individuals with active lifestyles.
3. Pads and Liners: These are suitable for individuals with light to moderate incontinence. They can be used with regular underwear and provide an extra layer of protection.
4. Protective Underpads: These are designed to protect furniture, mattresses, or chairs from leaks and accidents.
Where can you find the right incontinence product?
1. Pharmacies and Drugstores: These establishments often have a wide range of incontinence products to choose from. You can seek assistance from the staff to find the most suitable option.
2. Online Retailers: Many online retailers specialize in incontinence products. They offer a discreet and convenient way to purchase the products you need.
3. Healthcare Providers: Consulting with healthcare professionals can provide valuable insights and recommendations based on your specific needs and medical condition.
Choosing the right incontinence product is essential for maintaining comfort, dignity, and overall well-being. By considering factors such as absorbency, size and fit, type of incontinence, and lifestyle, you can find the perfect product that meets your needs.
Whether you opt for disposable briefs, pull-up underwear, pads and liners, or protective underpads, there are options available for every individual. Don't hesitate to seek guidance from pharmacies, online retailers, or healthcare providers to ensure you make the right choice.
Remember, picking the right incontinence product can make all the difference in enhancing your quality of life.
Often, knowing where to begin might overwhelm your best intentions. We can help. We work hard to help you make the right choice.
If you are shy about making a phone call for help, here are some considerations to think about, starting with an obvious one:
Does the product fit properly?
Is it snug where it needs to be? Does it contain what it’s supposed to contain?
There are excellent products on the market right now that are leak-proof. Don’t settle for anything less. High end products not only contain leaks, they can withstand a pressure test. That's right - these wet underwear get sat on by real people to make sure that the promise works.
Don't believe us? Watch this video from our friends at Tranquility: "The Tranquility Challenge"
Does everyone hear you before they see you?
Seriously. If you’ve ever worn a full garment-type of product (including adult diapers, briefs or the like) and have heard that give-away swoosh-swoosh-swoosh sound as you walk, you’ll know exactly what we mean.
If discretion is your goal, make sure you get a well-fitting and quiet product.
Does the product limit your activities?
As you can imagine, people with different levels of mobility need different products. Perhaps the need to be mobile isn’t as important to you as it might be to someone who plays tennis. If you’re thinking that we are saying that you can be active and incontinent, you are absolutely right!
For example - for those who love water sports yet are dealing with incontinence, brilliant designers have created 'containment swim wear' to prevent pool accidents.
These are available in washable styles and all sizes - for adults, teens and kids. However, there are also disposable swim brief options if that works better for you:
Is the product easy to use?
This is critical if your mobility is hampered or if you are depending on a caregiver to help out. What if protecting mattresses was as easy as regular laundry?
Have a look at our PeapodMats bed wetting mats collection. Sold in three sizes - for chairs or beds - these waterproof, washable mats will save you hours of frustration (and laundry).
Gender specific for good reasons...
(Note to self: Write the life jacket manufacturers about this issue, too.) There are products made specifically for males and females. Get the comfort you deserve.
Protective disposable underwear designed for women:
Underwear guards and shields designed for men:
Protective disposable underwear designed for men:
Technology has lightened the bulk
Just as there is no one-size-fits-all, there is also no one-level-of-protection-fits-all, either. Choose carefully. On one hand, you want great protection. But why carry around extra bulk if you don’t need it? Feel free to contact us with your questions. We really want to help.
Does it keep your skin safe?
Skin irritation is real. Unhealthy skin can lead to all kinds of trouble. If your incontinence product does not wick moisture away from your body, you need a new product. It’s as simple as that.
Does it give you confidence?
Whatever you use and whatever the state of your health, your incontinence product should, at least, promote independence.
And, returning to our earlier comment, the biggest consideration is this: Will it give you your life and dignity back. After all, isn’t that the real goal?
If you have any questions about choosing incontinence products, give us a call for free at 1-888-800-4356. We’d love to help.
- Cindy Clegg