What Incontinence Products Also Deliver a Good Night's Sleep?
Ways to Better Night's Sleep with Tranquillity Incontinence Products
We also love that Principle Business Enterprises (PBE), Tranquillity's parent company (woman-owned and a pioneer in the development of advanced absorbent technologies), who likes to work with us to help you.
One example is a popular webinar that we held with two Tranquillity experts on "Five Ways to a Better Night's Rest with Tranquillity Products". Our experts were Judy Borcherdt, RN, BSN, CWCMS, Tranquillity Clinical Services Manager, and Robyn Williams, Tranquillity Marketing:
Some expert advice shared by Judy and Robyn:
Be sure to let your doctor know you’re experiencing any type of incontinence.
Identifying your type of incontinence will help in choosing the right product. If it's your bladder, you could have one of four types of incontinence - knowing which helps understand the amount of absorption your underwear of any type needs to have.
There are several types of urinary incontinence, as defined by the Canadian Continence Foundation:
- Stress Incontinence: when the urethra cannot handle the increased bladder pressure during exercise, coughing or sneezing;
- Urge Incontinence (Overactive / Spastic Bladder): can be caused by a sudden, involuntary bladder spasm. It is the inability to delay urinating long enough to get to a toilet when you get the feeling;
- Overflow Incontinence: when the bladder becomes too full and overcomes urethral resistance because the bladder can’t be completely emptied, and there is a frequent leakage of urine without the urge to urinate; and
- Functional Incontinence: those immobile who are not originally incontinent fail to get to the toilet in time and are placed in absorbent products and therefore are considered incontinent.
- Mixed Incontinence: occurs when there is a combination of both stress urinary incontinence (SUI) and urge urinary incontinence (overactive bladder);
- Reflex Incontinence: occurs when the bladder muscle contracts and urine leaks (often in large amounts) without any warning or urge. This can happen as a result of damage to the nerves that normally warn the brain that the bladder is filling.
- Temporary Incontinence: occurs suddenly and may go away after a short period of time - causes include bedrest, certain medications, pregnancy, etc.
- Total incontinence: results from the complete absence of urinary control which may lead to continuous leakage or periodic uncontrolled emptying of the bladder.
If you detest the idea of needing incontinence help, try it this way: the Tranquillity experts tell us that finding the right product can result at least five things that will make you (or your loved one) feel much better:
- Uninterrupted sleep
- Reduced anxiety, irritation and agitation
- Improved quality of life and reduced social isolation
- Dry and clean skin
- Reduced odours
#1: Uninterrupted Sleep
Judy and Robyn wanted to to stress the importance of an adequate amount of uninterrupted sleep. As people age they tend to have a harder time falling asleep and more trouble staying asleep than when they were younger. But, our sleep needs remain constant throughout adulthood.
As we sleep, our bodies can restore themselves in a variety of ways such as saving energy, increasing immune functions, developing brain cells and supporting healing. If leaking or an inadequate overnight product is keeping you awake, it's an easy fix!
Facts about sleep
Dr. Michael Twery of the National Sleep Institute says that “sleep affects almost every tissue in our bodies”. As we sleep…
- Important hormones secrete
- Metabolic rate falls during REM sleep
- Energy is conserved
- Body temperature drops
- Protein synthesis and production of complex molecules in the body increase
- Our bodies restore and recover
- Cell division more rapid
- Immune function increased
- Development of brain cells
- Connection between brain cells
- Wounds heal
Effects of Sleep Deprivation
Sleep deprivation occurs over a period of time when we don’t get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Well over 100,000 car accidents in North America occur every year due to sleep deprivation - leading to 6000 deaths.
2012 research shows adults who regularly slept less than six hours each night were four times more likely to suffer a stroke than were those who had plenty of sleep. 32 million people (17%) said they have fallen asleep at the wheel.
Major disasters attributed to human errors in which sleep deprivation played a role:
- 1989 Exxon Oil spill off of Alaska
- The Challenger space shuttle disaster
- The Chernobyl nuclear accident
- 1999 American Airlines Flight 1420 overshot the runway at Little Rock National Airport killing 11
All this to stress the importance of adequate amount of uninterrupted night of sleep.
#2: Reduced Anxiety, Irritation, Agitation
Anxiety, irritation and agitation are all interlinked. They all deal with personal feelings or emotions usually triggered by an event either in the past, present or future.
Many individuals dealing with incontinence may sense a loss of control in areas such as their social activities, personal relationships as well as their sleep patterns which can increase the risk of experiencing increased anxiety, irritation and agitation.
Those that use appropriate products like Tranquillity experience an increased confidence in the products such as no leakage during the day or night, no embarrassing odours and longer wear times.
Whether socially or physically active or sedentary or bed ridden, Tranquillity products will provide longer periods of wear time and confidence in remaining dry and free from strong odours.
#3 Improved quality of life and reduced social isolation
Common issues for those dealing with incontinence:
- Lack of education about the condition
- Social stigma associated with incontinence
- The term “incontinent” often seems too strong to individuals (disease-like)
- Perceived issue of personal control
- Denial issues
- Social situations may be avoided when toileting may be limited
- Avoidance of activity
- May jeopardize independent living in some circumstances
Tranquility restores confidence
- Superabsorbent products pull fluid into garment and lock it in
- Skin dryness
- Soft, breathable cloth-like briefs and disposable underwear
- Soft / comfortable products
- Polymers neutralize odours
- Superabsorbent polymers and product technology allow for longer wear times (uninterrupted sleep, longer/ uninterrupted social time throughout the day)
- Variety of products to meet individual needs
Bestseller: Tranquility Premium OverNight Disposable Absorbent Underwear
#4: Dry and Clean Skin
- Prolonged exposure of moisture on skin, especially as we age.
- IAD-Incontinence Associated Dermatitis - skin maceration leads to skin damage
- Greater risks for wounds/ pressure ulcers for those that are immobile
Using Tranquillity's superabsorbent products can help as they:
- Promote healthy skin barrier function (backed up by clinical trials)
- Pulls fluid into the core of the product, locking it in.
- Surface of product against skin remains dry and soft
- Very little or no barrier creams necessary
Dry, clean skin avoids horrid skin issues
When you use cheap products or ones with low absorbency, you are running some serious risks. Prolonged exposure of moisture on skin, especially as we age, can lead to skin damage and greater risks for wounds and pressure ulcers for people who are immobile.
Super-absorbent products (like those from Tranquillity), promote healthy skin with a barrier function (backed up by clinical trials). The products are designed to pull fluid into the core of the product, locking it in - leaving the surface of product against the skin still dry and soft.
Tranquility SmartCore Breathable Briefs
Restored confidence = better quality of life
If you avoid social situations because toilets are not handy enough or you have abandoned your activities, it's time to have confidence in a few things.
A good start is using a super-absorbent product. It pulls fluid into the garment and locks it in, keeps skin dry and the special polymers inside neutralize odours and allow for longer wear times. This leads to uninterrupted sleep, longer and uninterrupted social time throughout the day.
Tranquillity: Better By Design
Choosing The Right Products
My Liberty carries Adult Diapers, Bed and Chair Pads, Pads, Skincare, Swimwear, and Underwear from Tranquility. Our longtime bestsellers include
Tranquility Premium OverNight Disposable Absorbent Underwear
With sizing ranging from Extra Small through 2XL Tranquility has you covered. Capacity ranges from a low of 20.3 ounces (600 ml) up to 34 ounces (1005 ml).
Comfortable, full-rise waist allows for a more proportioned fit. Made with a soft, premium fabric; breathable and discreet under clothing. Tear-away side seams for quick and easy removal.
Tranquility SlimLine Original Briefs
Tranquility SlimLine Original Briefs offer a classic full fit poly-backed diaper with a slimmer profile making it ideal for every day use. Sizing starts at Junior, fitting kids 28-42 lbs up to Bariatric, fitting 64"-90" waist / hip.
Capacity starts at 10.2 ounces (302 ml) for the Junior size and increases up to 34 ounces (702 ml) in the Bariatric size.
Size - the right fit is key
- Proper fitting products reduce leaking
- Bigger is not better
Style - consider the following when choosing the style of product to use
- Activity Level
- Mental Orientation
- Caregiver Limitations
Absorption - Consider the following when choosing absorption level.
- Type of incontinence
- Bowel (containment) vs. Urine (volume)
- How long between changes
- Booster pads- Extend wear time
The best way to select the best product for you is based on how much fluid it is going to hold before being changed. Here is a helpful guide from Tranquillity:
Occasional Fecal Smears
|Mental / Physical level of Orientation
Oriented / Clear
Oriented / Clear to Slightly Confused
Minimal to Moderate Assistance
Oriented / Clear to Confused
Moderate Assistance to Immobile
Moderate Assistance to Immobile
Pads / Liners
Tranquility® Adult Liner
Tranquility® SlimLine® Original Briefs
Booster pads can be added to any pad, liner, brief or underwear to assist with bowel incontinence or to increase absorption.
Related information about Tranquillity
- Webinar REPLAY - Five Things You Need for a Better Night's Sleep with TRANQUILITY
- Shop Tranquillity Premium Protection incontinence underwear, briefs, pads & liners from My Liberty
- Why buy Tranquillity Incontinence products?
- What is the Tranquillity Peach Mat Guarantee?
- Cindy Clegg