Tips for travelling with incontinence
Out and about on the holidays? Advance preparation tips to increase your enjoyment
- Increase your "staying power" with Tranquility Booster Pads used with any disposable brief or underwear to provide extra absorption.
- Pack underpads to put on the seats of planes, trains and automobiles
- Carry your prescription medicines or products for constipation, vomiting or diarrhea and keep them in their original packaging.
- Book seats on the aisle, near a toilet or near the front of the bus / plane where you can exit quickly.
- Bring (or send ahead) extra incontinence supplies for unexpected delays.
- Choose clothes in dark colours (to disguise any leakage) that are easy to remove and comfortable to wear (elastic waists, track pants or longer, loose-fitting tops).
- Take a small toilet bag in your carry-on bag, plus a change of clothing. Disposable wipes are handy generally and especially good for fecal incontinence.
- Drink plenty of ‘good' fluids (water is best). Don't be tempted to cut down on fluids to reduce urine leakage as it can actually make things worse.
- Avoid bladder irritants such as coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate drinks, fizzy soft drinks and sports drinks. Spicy or acidic foods are best avoided too.
- Always take a carry-on bag with all the essentials you may need: an extra change of clothes, plastic bags for soiled undergarments, wipes, extra underwear or pads, roll of toilet tissue, hand sanitizer
- Consider what other essentials you would require should your trip be delayed or you lose your luggage. Thinking this through will eliminate any extra anxiety.
Watch this video for more tips on travelling with a parent with incontinence
(5 minutes, 17 seconds)
Incontinence products recommended for travel
My Liberty choose brands because of their outstanding construction, unbeatable absorbency, first-rate odour control, overall capacity to contain leaks and their ability to be good to your skin.
Pads or underwear liners
Consider pads designed for women whose incontinence causes them to experience the loss of small to moderate amounts of urine during every day activities. Typically hour-glass shaped, these offer better protection against bladder leaks than menstrual pads.
For men, underwear guards and shields help with light incontinence. Men's products also have an adhesive strip to anchor the product inside snug knitted underwear, a waterproof backing to prevent leakage, and a pad containing gel-forming polymer, anatomically designed to provide protection where guys need it the most.
Consider washable absorbent underwear
Our washable, absorbent underwear options are so soft and so normal looking, you would never know that they also protect you against leaks. Washing machine and dryer safe, these are a high quality and very worthwhile investment - we find most folks choose to purchase several.
Available in multiple styles, colours and absorbencies, we carry these products for men, women or kids.
Disposable Booster Pads to "boost" Absorbency
Tranquility TopLiner Booster Pads offer added protection to any disposable undergarment. These Booster Pads are intended to be used with another disposable product to 'boost' absorbency.
Tranquility TopLiner Booster Pads in Mini, Regular and Super sizes are long and thin in shape for bladder incontinence to protect against urine leakage.
For added protection and containment of bowel or fecal incontinence, have a look at the Tranquility TopLiner Booster Contour Pads, which offer an hourglass shape to provide a wider absorbent area.
Bed and chair pads to protect wheelchairs, plane, train and car seats
Take the stress out of leaks while visiting family or staying with friends. Bed pads and chair pads can provide discreet, absorbent leakage protection when away from home.
These pads protect your furniture and mattress while they help you to sleep comfortably all night long. Choose from our broad selection of bed or chair pads and experience your liberty. Save time, money - and furniture!
Get in the swim!
Today's textiles offer amazing options for those who love to travel but worry about incontinence. We carry both washable and disposable swimwear options in a full range of sizes - from kids through youth and adults.
You have choices - have a look at the surfer style options which replace your regular bathing suit or try the discreet briefs that you wear under your favourite bathing suit. Now - go jump in that pool (or ocean or lake or pond or...)!
Cleaning up on the road
It can be a challenge to keep to a regular bathing when traveling; you face long stretches where you're sticky and overheated or chilled and desperate for a hot bath or shower. To manage clean ups in between bathing stops, consider our cleaning and skin care options.
Don't let incontinence stop you from travel - enjoy the road!
- Cindy Clegg